Monday, February 21, 2011

Baked Spinach & Cheese Noodles

I didn't get to make most of the menu items last week because I was hit HARD by that stupid stomach virus. I think I ate more crackers last week than I have in my entire life. Unfortunately, me having a stomach bug meant that Dave & the toddler were on their own for dinner from Saturday through Wednesday.
Then Thursday was beautiful so we made burgers on the grill & Friday cooked steaks on the grill along with some veggies marinaded & grilled. MMMMM
Saturday night we made an amazing dish though. Baked Spinach & Cheese Noodles. This was absolutely incredible. Even the picky toddler LOVED it & kept signing more when his plate was empty!
I would definitely make a few changes to this recipe. I think it needs some diced onion and some garlic. Chicken would be a great add also if you're looking for something with a little meat. Otherwise, it was FABULOUS!! I will absolutely make this one again.

Ingredients:

2 T butter
1/3 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 t pepper
1 t kosher salt
3 T Dijon mustard
15 oz ricotta cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
10 oz package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 chopped red pepper
16 oz package of un-cooked noodles

The Directions.

I made a roux with the butter and flour, and then added the milk, the container of ricotta cheese and stirred in the spinach, red pepper, and spices. Oh! Use a big pot, so you don't have to transfer halfway through the way that I might have needed to do. And then you won't drop slimy spinach on the floor...

Spray the inside of your slowcooker with cooking spray and dump in a package of uncooked pasta noodles. Turn on your slowcooker so you won't "shock it" when you stir your cheese and spinach mixture into the noodles. Slowcooker stoneware shouldn't change temperatures rapidly.

Top with 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.

No comments: