This was a HUGE hit with all 3 of us. Even the baby had seconds & had a little more for lunch the next day!!
I actually made a couple changes which are in blue.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix I actually used 2 mixes, one on the top and one on the bottom of the casserole
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided I always use waaay more cheese
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Spread half the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in hot dogs; saute 3-4 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Stir in the chili, brown sugar, garlic powder and chili powder; heat through. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese. Spoon over prepared corn bread. Spread remaining batter onto hot dog mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.