Monday, December 29, 2008

Caramelized Onions and Apples with Sausages

This was one of the recipes I chose to make when my MIL was here. I'd never tried it before, but it sounded and looked amazing! My goal was to impress her while she was here--and this one definitely tipped the scale in my favor.

Ingredients:
16 oz package kielbasa sausages (2-8oz each)
2 Tbs. butter, divided
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored; each sliced into 10 pieces
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (i used dry)
1 Tbs. canola oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced (3 cups)
1/2 cup Harp Lager (Guinness) beer, room temperature
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions:
1. Broil, grill, or boil sausages according to package directions. (I cooked mine whole in 2/3 cups boiling water in a covered skillet then cut them into pieces). Keep warm until needed.
2. Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium-high heat, and add 1 Tbs butter. Add apples, and saute’ until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add thyme, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer apples to bowl.
3. Return skillet to burner, and add remaining butter and oil. Add onions, and cook over medium-high heat 10 to 15 minutes, until onions are caramelized. Add sauteed apples, beer, sugar, and vinegar, and stir to blend well. Cook until liquid is reduced and begins to thicken, 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon onto platter, and top with sausages.

**Next time I would use more kielbasa, hubby and I are BIG meat eaters!**

No comments: