Friday, October 3, 2008

Vegetable Bean Soup

I woke up this morning with a terrible cold and all I could think about was soup. So I decided to rumage through my fridge and pantry to come up with something yummy in the soup category. I took a little inspiration from Fix It Quick: Slow Cooker.

36oz Vegetable Stock
3 medium sized leeks chopped (the whites only)
14oz diced tomatoes, undrained
1medium yellow onion coarsely chopped
3 large stalks chopped celery
1 small head of cabbage chopped
2 medium carrots chopped
1 handful fresh grean beans
some dried rosemary
1 can white beans
1 cup cooked orzo
S&P

I put everything together in the slowcooker, except for the beans and orzo, and cooked it on LOW for 8 hours. Then I added the beans and cooked an addtional 30 minutes on LOW. I cooked the orzo separately and added it at the very end so it wouldn't soak up all the yummy broth.

My husband had 4 huge bowls of this soup. I enjoyed it as well--although my sense of taste is a little off right now thanks to my stuffy nose!!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Mmmm,I love all your comfort food posts lately. I love making soups as the weather turns colder...